Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Egg White Custard


Chinatown/ NYC
Originally uploaded by nicknamemiket
I love to indulge every now and then and ignore the doctor's advice of staying away from heart-clogging and super-nausea-causing sweets. Many times, I just don't know what really goes into my favorite foods until I start to make it myself. Sometimes the ingredients are just over the top, e.g., lard, re-used oil, etc.

Years ago, as a college experiment, I made egg custards from scratch. They looked, smelled, and tasted awesome. But knowing that they were comprised of well, eggs...many many eggs... it never appealed to me after that. Here's one rendition of the traditional egg custard recipe.

Luckily, Egg Custard King came up with a healthier alternative - the egg white custard. It was nice - light and fluffy - and it still has the same custardy taste as its richer counterpart.

3 comments:

  1. They may have cut the cholesterol from the custard but how do you cut the fat out of the pastry while still keeping it flaky?

    Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's tough to cut the fat out of the crust entirely. I'll have to research and experiment with some low-fat alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I'm so excited I found your blog!!! I'm a Hongkie living abroad in Chicago and although i LOOOVE dimsum, there are just SO few choices here compared to New York! I'm in love with egg white egg tarts and always get them when I go home. Chicago only has the usual though...I've tried making my own but they came out disastrous! hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete